Cellucor’s C4 Pre Workout is one of the most well-established supplements out there when it comes to raising your game before the gym.
Available to buy at: www.bodybuilding.com
Cellucor are one of the biggest names in the health and fitness supplements industry, and their C4 range is known for being one of the best sellers in the pre workout category.
The purpose of this article is to bring you a detailed review of the Cellucor C4 Original pre workout supplement.
Specifically, we’re going to be concentrating on the following:
• What’s C4 Original all about and what is it supposed to do?
• What ingredients does C4 use?
• Is it the best pre workout supplement out there?
We’re going to take a detailed look at the Cellucor C4 supplement from all angles as we look to see where it stands in a crowded market.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The content of our articles is not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. It’s always best to speak with your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet or exercise routine, or trying a new supplement.
We’re going to be paying particularly close attention to the facts about this supplement, including the ingredients, their doses and the directions.
So, with the brief introductions out of the way, it’s time to start taking a closer look at the Cellucor C4 Pre Workout in a bit more detail.
Jump To Section
Cellucor C4 Ultimate – The Basics
As we mentioned above, Cellucor are one of the most well-established supplements brands in the health and fitness space.
They offer a wide range of different types of products, but their C4 range of pre workouts is possibly the best-known out of them all.
The C4 Original pre workout is their main offering when it comes to a flavoured powder pre workout supplement.
Like most of the other supplements out there, it comes in a range of flavours and has been designed to be mixed with water or juice and consumed before starting your training or exercise session.
C4 Original is available in a number of flavours, including:
• Fruit Punch
• Icy Blue Razz
• Pink Lemonade
• Strawberry Margarita
It’s marketed as an “advanced” pre workout formula that’s been designed to provide certain specific ingredients that can help to support you as you look to smash your health and fitness goals.
Like most of the leading pre workout supplements on the market at the moment, Cellucor C4 uses Caffeine as one of the main ingredients in its formula to help support you through your training.
C4 is available in two different tub sizes, one containing 30 servings and another containing 60 servings.
The label describes it as the original “explosive” pre workout supplement that can help to support you on your health and fitness journey.
Cellucor also claim that C4 is America’s number one selling pre workout supplement, which is certainly pretty impressive if true.
Generally speaking though, it’s best not to pay too much attention to the marketing hype surrounding supplements. The most important factors to consider when it comes to fitness supplements is the ingredients.
So, with that in mind, let’s now move on to the next important part of our Cellucor C4 Pre Workout review – the all important ingredients formula.
Let’s begin this part by taking a look at the actual ingredients label of the C4 pre workout as shown on the tub we purchased.
It’s important to note that the formula may differ depending on what country you’re purchasing from, so be sure to carefully check the ingredients label before taking any new supplement for the first time.
As you can no doubt see for yourself, this supplement contains a range of the ingredients you’d expect to find in a quality pre workout supplement including Creatine, Caffeine and a mix of vitamins.
Let’s now take a closer look at some of the main ingredients in the Cellucor C4 pre workout formula.
Editor's note: The health claims about the ingredients mentioned in this article are listed as authorised on the EU Register at the time of publishing.
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – These are two important B Vitamins that we need to get from our diets. Both Vitamins B6 and B12 help to support a number of important processes in the body. For example, both B6 and B12 contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, as well as normal energy release.
• Vitamin C – This is another vitamin that our body needs to get from dietary sources. Vitamin C helps to support normal energy release and normal psychological function. It also helps with the normal functioning of the immune system and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
• Caffeine Anhydrous – Caffeine is one of the most popular stimulants on the planet, so you probably don’t need much of an introduction to its effects and benefits. Most of the top pre workout supplements use Caffeine as one of their ingredients, and each serving of C4 Original contains 150mg of Caffeine Anhydrous. To put this specific dose into context, you’d expect to find around 100mg of Caffeine in a regular cup of coffee.
• Beta Alanine – This is another very popular pre workout supplement ingredient. Beta Alanine is what’s known as a ‘beta’ amino acid. Each serving of C4 contains 1600mg of Beta Alanine.
• Creatine – You’re probably already familiar with Creatine as one of the most popular post-workout and bodybuilding supplements. It’s one of the most widely-researched fitness supplement ingredients out there and has plenty of promising studies behind it. Each serving of C4 contains 1500mg of Creatine Monohydrate.
• Arginine AKG – Short for Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, this is another fairly common pre workout ingredient. Each serving of C4 contains 1000mg.
• N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine – This is a free-form amino acid which is often added to pre workout supplements and other fitness-related products. Each serving of C4 contains 200mg.
We followed the instructions on the tub and mixed a scoop of the supplement into a glass of water.
We tested out the Fruit Punch flavour, but there are lots of other options out there if this one doesn’t suit your taste.
The powder dissolved into the water very quickly and required minimal stirring / shaking, which is definitely a big plus point. The water took on a light pink colour.
In terms of the taste, it was pretty good. It was sweet, but not too much so, and it went down very easily. We can definitely see ourselves drinking this regularly.
It’s worth noting that this supplement uses the sweetener Sucralose to enhance flavour. If you’re looking to avoid things like Sucralose, then this isn’t the supplement for you.
Cellucor C4 Ultimate Reviews
We took a look on bodybuilding.com to see what some customers were saying about C4.
At the time of writing, it had an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 stars from more than 4,000 reviews, which is pretty good going.
Generally speaking, the feedback about this supplement seemed to be popular, and it appears to be well-received by customers.
Some of the more negative reviews came from people who said they were disappointed by the product, but overall it seems to get positive feedback online.
What About Side Effects?
We always think that it’s best to speak to your doctor before taking a new supplement or making any major lifestyle changes.
It’s also incredibly important that you read the entire label before taking a new supplement, and that includes the ingredients, directions and warnings.
There were a number of warnings shown on the label of the C4 supplement we tried. The label says that the supplement is only intended for healthy adults who are 18 years old or older.
The label also says that you must not take C4 before speaking to a certified medical doctor if you are taking any other supplement or medication, or if you have or suspect any medical condition.
The label says that because of the Caffeine content in C4, you should not take it with Caffeine or stimulants from other sources. It also says that you should discontinue use of this supplement two weeks before surgery.
The label also states that you should not use this supplement continuously for more than eight weeks and that you should immediately discontinue use and seek medical attention if you experience any adverse reaction to this product.
In general, the main thing to bear in mind with pre workout supplements and side effects is their Caffeine content. You’ll want to keep a close eye on your total Caffeine intake from all sources, and it’s best not to consume any Caffeine at all within about six hours of when you plan to go to sleep.
Is This The Best Pre Workout For Me?
The C4 Pre Workout supplement is one of the most popular and well-established supplements out there in this popular category.
You can see if it makes it onto our list of some of the best pre workout supplements on the market at the moment by following the link shown below.
RELATED: The Best Pre Workout Supplements
Anything Else To Consider?
As we mentioned above, it’s best to speak to your doctor before taking a new supplement.
Remember, dietary supplements should not be viewed as a replacement for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy overall lifestyle.
Supplements like pre workouts can be a useful addition to your regimen, but don’t expect them to work miracles on their own.
Review Conclusion – Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our Cellucor C4 review.
We’ve walked you through all of the key things you need to know about this supplement and have drilled down on the ingredients formula amongst other things.
Overall, this is a very popular supplement that contains a lot of the key ingredients you’d expect to find in a market-leading pre workout.