Gold Standard Pre Workout by Optimum Nutrition is one of the most popular pre workout supplements on the market.
Available to buy at: www.amazon.com
Optimum Nutrition are one of the biggest names in the supplements industry, and their ‘Gold Standard’ range of products is hugely popular amongst gym goers.
Now, if you’re looking to find out whether Gold Standard Pre Workout is a supplement worth taking or not, then you’ve landed in the right place.
This Gold Standard Pre Workout review is going to focus on everything that you need to know about this particular pre workout supplement as we look to see where it stands.
We’re going to be paying particularly close attention to the ingredients formula and the customer reviews as we look to see where it stands in comparison to our list of some of the best pre workout supplements on the market right now.
There are so many different types of pre workout supplements on sale these days that it can be difficult to pick out the best options.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The content of our articles is not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. It’s always best to speak with your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet or exercise routine, or trying a new supplement.
So, with the introductions out of the way, it’s time to start taking a closer look at the Gold Standard Pre Workout to see where it stands in comparison to the leading products.
Jump To Section
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout – The Basics
As we’ve already clearly gathered, the Gold Standard Pre Workout is a popular supplement made by Optimum Nutrition.
Before we go any further, we should point out that the product we reviewed for this article was the UK version of Gold Standard Pre Workout. At the time of writing, the formulas for the UK and US versions are almost identical, but it’s important to check the ingredients label of any product you purchase.
In case you didn’t already know, pre workout supplements are products that have been designed to be consumed before periods of exercise to help support your goals.
They usually contain a range of ingredients and are designed to be mixed with water and drunk before training.
Gold Standard Pre Workout comes in a number of different flavors, including:
• Blueberry Lemonade
• Fruit Punch
• Green Apple
You can find Gold Standard Pre Workout on Amazon for around $20 for a tub of 30 servings, which is pretty decent value in our opinion.
The official Optimum Nutrition website says that this pre workout supplement is “as good as gold”, and says that they are one of the most trusted brands in sports nutrition.
It all sounds pretty good to us. However, we’ve learnt not to pay too much attention to what manufacturers say about their own supplements.
Instead, we feel that it is generally better to focus on the important facts such as the ingredients formula, the doses, and the directions.
So, with that in mind, let’s move on to the next important section in our Gold Standard Pre Workout review – the ingredients.
Let’s begin this part of our Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout review by taking a close look at the actual ingredients label, as shown on the official Optimum Nutrition website (US version) at the time of writing.
Let’s now take a look at some of the main ingredients in the Gold Standard Pre Workout formula.
• Caffeine – Caffeine is one of the most commonly used stimulants on the planet. It makes its way into most of the top pre workout supplements out there. Each serving of Gold Standard Pre Workout contains 175mg of Caffeine. To put that dose into context, you’d expect to find around 100mg of Caffeine in a regular cup of coffee.
• Creatine Monohydrate – You probably already know all about Creatine and its benefits as a post-workout supplement. It’s also often used in the leading pre workout supplements, and that’s why it’s included here, at a dose of 3g.
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – These are two important B vitamins that we need to get from our diet. Vitamins B6 and B12 both contribute to normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
• Vitamin D – We haven’t come across many pre workout supplements that use Vitamin D as an ingredient, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad inclusion. Our bodies produce Vitamin D naturally when our skin is exposed to direct sunlight containing UVB rays. Depending on where you live in the world, it can be difficult for your body to make it all year around this way. Each serving of Gold Standard Pre Workout contains 500IU of Vitamin D.
• Pantothenic Acid – Also known as Vitamin B5, this is another relatively common ingredient for pre workouts. Pantothenic Acid contributes to normal energy release and normal mental performance. Both good things for a pre workout.
• Niacin – This is another important B vitamin in the Gold Standard Pre Workout formula. Niacin (Vitamin B3) contributes to normal psychological function and normal energy release. Again, this is not a bad ingredient at all for a quality pre workout supplement.
• L-Citrulline – This is an amino acid which is found in watermelons. It’s a very common pre workout ingredient and has some promising research behind it, so it was good to find it in the Gold Standard Pre Workout formula.
• Beta-Alanine – Another popular pre workout ingredient. Beta-Alanine is a common inclusion in some of the very best pre workout supplements out there. It’s another good ingredient.
The Taste and Flavor
When picking a pre workout, you’ll want to choose a supplement that actually tastes good.
We tried out the Green Apple flavor of the Gold Standard Pre Workout.
The powder is pretty fine and we found that it mixed well into water pretty quickly. It did need a few stirs for the powder to dissolve completely, however.
We found the Green Apple flavor to taste pretty good. It was sweet, but not too much so. It did have a bit of a ‘synthetic’ aftertaste, but we’ve found that to be the case with most of the pre workouts we’ve sampled.
The Gold Standard Pre Workout formula is a pretty good one in our opinion. It contains a lot of the things we look for first in a pre workout supplement.
It ticks a lot of the boxes when it comes to picking a quality product, and it is made by a reputable brand with a strong track history in the supplements industry.
If you’re interested, you can see our guide to some of the leading pre workout supplements on the market right now by following the link shown below.
RELATED: The Best Pre Workout Supplements
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout Reviews
The Gold Standard Pre Workout has loads of reviews on Amazon from verified customers.
At the time of writing, it had more than 4,300 reviews, with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
One happy customer left a five-star review and said that they thought it is a great product.
One of the more negative reviews came from somebody who rated it one star and claimed that it didn’t do much for them at all.
Generally speaking, the Gold Standard Pre Workout seems to be well received amongst customers.
What About Side Effects?
We strongly advise that you speak to your doctor before taking any new supplement or making any major lifestyle changes.
As always, the main thing to be careful of in pre workout supplements is the overuse of stimulants such as Caffeine.
You probably already know that too much Caffeine can cause unwanted side effects.
The 175mg of Caffeine per serving of Gold Standard Pre Workout is relatively standard for a pre workout supplement. To put the dose into perspective, you’d expect to find around 100mg of Caffeine in a regular cup of coffee.
If you’re sensitive to stimulants or are consuming Caffeine from other sources, it may be best to avoid this product.
There is a warning on the UK version’s label saying that you should not exceed the recommended dose.
The label also says that you should speak to your doctor before using this product if you’re taking any medications or are under a physician’s care for a medical condition.
It also says that this supplement is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults over the age of 18 and it’s not recommended for those who are sensitive to Caffeine or Beta-Alanine, are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The label also says that you should not take this supplement while consuming Caffeine from other sources, and it also says not to consume it with alcohol.
We always recommend that you do some of your own research into the ingredients before taking any new supplement for the first time.
Is This The Best Pre Workout For Me?
The Gold Standard Pre Workout is a good option if you’re looking to take your training to the next level.
It features some good ingredients, it tastes good, it doesn’t overdo it on the Caffeine and it seems to have some pretty good customer reviews.
RELATED: The Best Pre Workout Supplements
Anything Else To Consider?
Just remember that a pre workout supplement is not going to do the hard work for you.
You should always make sure that you are eating right and training hard before thinking about adding any kind of supplement to your daily regimen.
A pre workout supplement can help to support your health and fitness goals, but you’ll still have to put in the hard work to turn your dreams into a reality.
Review Conclusion – Final Thoughts
So, here we are at the end of our Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout review.
Overall, we think that this is a pretty good pre workout supplement – and customer seem to think so too.
It contains come popular ingredients such as Caffeine, Creatine and L-Citrulline, and also provides some important vitamins in its decent-tasting formula.