Gold Standard Pre Workout by Optimum Nutrition is one of the most popular pre workout supplements on the market.
Optimum Nutrition are one of the biggest names in the supplements industry, and their ‘Gold Standard’ range of products is hugely popular amongst gym goers.
Now, if you’re looking to find out whether Gold Standard Pre Workout is a supplement worth taking or not, then you’ve landed in the right place.
This Gold Standard Pre Workout review is going to focus on everything that you need to know about this particular pre workout supplement as we look to see where it stands.
We’re going to be paying particularly close attention to the ingredients formula and the customer reviews as we look to see whether it deserves a place on our list of the best pre workout supplements on the market right now.
There are so many different types of pre workout supplements on sale these days that it can be difficult to pick out the best options.
So, with the introductions out of the way, it’s time to start taking a closer look at the Gold Standard Pre Workout to see where it stands in comparison to the leading products.
Skip To Section
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout – The Basics
As we’ve already clearly gathered, the Gold Standard Pre Workout is a popular supplement made by Optimum Nutrition.
In case you didn’t already know, pre workout supplements are products that have been designed to be consumed before periods of exercise to help support your goals.
They usually contain a range of ingredients and are designed to be mixed with water and drunk before training.
Gold Standard Pre Workout comes in a number of different flavors, including:
• Blueberry Lemonade
• Fruit Punch
• Green Apple
You can find Gold Standard Pre Workout on Amazon for around $40 for a tub of 60 servings, which is pretty decent value in our opinion.
According to the listing on Amazon, Gold Standard Pre Workout will “raise the bar” when it comes to pre workout supplementation.
It uses caffeine from only natural sources to help support you as you look to hit your fitness goals this year.
The Amazon listing goes on to describe the ingredients formula as a “powerful” combination to help you take your workouts to the next level.
It all sounds pretty good to us so far.
However, we’ve learnt not to pay too much attention to what manufacturers say about their own supplements.
Instead, we feel that it is generally better to focus on the important things such as the ingredients formula and what real customers are saying.
So, with that in mind, let’s move on to the next important section in our Gold Standard Pre Workout review – the ingredients.
Let’s begin this crucial part of our Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout review by taking a close look at the actual ingredients label, as shown on the tub.
Firstly, it’s great news to see that Optimum Nutrition have chosen not to use a proprietary blend with this supplement.
This means that we know the exact doses of each and every one of the ingredients in the formula.
We never like to see supplements use proprietary blends, so we were pleasantly surprised to see that Optimum Nutrition have chosen to be completely transparent with their customers.
Let’s now take a look at the main ingredients in the Gold Standard Pre Workout formula.
• Caffeine – Caffeine is a common pre workout ingredient and it’s always one that we like to see used in supplements like this. You probably already know all about the benefits of Caffeine and it’s consumed by millions of people daily. The 175mg dose of Caffeine here is a sensible one, which should bring you the benefits without causing any unwanted side effects.
• Creatine Monohydrate – A common pre workout ingredient that is also sometimes taken post workout. Creatine is thought to have a number of benefits pre workout. The 3.4g dose is a hefty one, and it may not be to everyone’s liking.
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – We always like to see B Vitamins included in supplements like this. That’s because they help to support a number of important bodily functions. For example, both B6 and B12 contribute to normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. So they are both good inclusions.
• Pantothenic Acid – Also known as Vitamin B5, this is another good inclusion. It contributes to normal energy release and normal mental performance. Both good things for a pre workout.
• Niacin – Niacin (Vitamin B3) contributes to normal psychological function and normal energy release. Again, this is not a bad ingredient at all for a quality pre workout supplement.
• L-Citrulline – This is an amino acid which is found in watermelons. It’s a very common pre workout ingredient and for good reaeson. It is believed to have significant benefits, so it was good to find it in the Gold Standard Pre Workout formula.
• Beta-Alanine – Another good pre workout ingredient. Beta-Alanine is a common inclusion in some of the very best pre workout supplements out there. It’s another good inclusion in the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout formula.
The Gold Standard Pre Workout formula is a pretty good one. It has a lot of the things we look for first in a pre workout supplement.
That being said, there were also a few things missing.
For example, it was disappointing that there was no Coconut Water Powder included in this supplement.
It was also a shame that it doesn’t use Taurine, which is a popular ingredient in commercially-available energy drinks.
You can see our guide to the leading pre workout supplements on the market right now by following the link shown below.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout Reviews
The Gold Standard Pre Workout has loads of reviews on Amazon from verified customers.
At the time of writing, it had more than 1,700 reviews, with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
One happy customer left a five-star review and said that they were “in love” with this pre workout supplement, so presumably they are happy with it.
However, there was one negative review from somebody who said that it “did nothing” for them and they rated it one star.
Generally speaking, the Gold Standard Pre Workout seems to be well received amongst customers.
What About Side Effects?
As always, the main thing to be careful of in pre workout supplements is the overuse of stimulants such as Caffeine.
Too much Caffeine can cause unwanted side effects. That said, the 175mg dose in Gold Standard Pre Workout is a fairly sensible one, so it should be OK for most people.
The above said, we always recommend that you do some of your own research into the ingredients before taking any new supplement for the first time.
We also strongly advise that you speak to your doctor before taking any new supplement in this category.
Is This The Best Pre Workout For Me?
The Gold Standard Pre Workout is a pretty good option if you’re looking to take your training to the next level.
It features some good ingredients, doesn’t overdo it on the Caffeine and seems to have some pretty good customer reviews.
That being said, we don’t quite rate it as the very best pre workout on sale right now.
You can see our updated pre workout supplement guide by following the link shown below.
Anything Else To Consider?
Just remember that a pre workout supplement is not going to do the hard work for you.
You should always make sure that you are eating right and training hard before thinking about adding any kind of supplement to your daily regimen.
That being said, a good pre workout supplement can indeed help to support your goals.
However, you should always make sure that you’ve got the basics right first when it comes to your diet and training.
Review Conclusion – Final Thoughts
So, here we are at the end of our Gold Standard Pre Workout review.
Overall, we think that this is a pretty good pre workout supplement – and customer seem to think so too.
However, it doesn’t quite make it onto our list of the leading pre workout supplements out there right now.