Pre-Works is a pre workout supplement made by The Protein Works and which claims to help you to get the most out of your training sessions and time spent in the gym.
We’re always on the lookout for the latest supplements to help you hit your fitness goals, so we were keen to take a closer look at Pre-Works to see where it stands.
If you’re looking to find out everything there is to know about Pre-Works, then you’ve landed on the right page.
We’re going to be taking a close look at this particular supplement from all angles as we look to see where it stands in relation to the very best pre workouts on the market right now.
There are so many different supplements on the market in this category that it can be difficult to select the best product for you.
In this Pre-Works review, we’re going to be paying particularly close attention to the ingredients formula and customer reviews to find out if this supplement lives up to the hype or not.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s start taking a closer look at Pre-Works to see where it stands.
Pre-Works – The Basics
So, we have already mentioned that Pre-Works is a pre workout supplement made by the UK-based company The Protein Works.
Pre-Works is the company’s premium and higher-priced pre workout offering.
The official website says that this supplement has been designed to for anyone looking to “supercharge” their workouts and hit their goals.
You can buy Pre-Works on the official The Protein Works website, and it’s available in three flavors:
• Orange Burst
• Berry Blitz
• Tropical Punch
The marketing material on the official website says that Pre-Works uses scientifically-driven ingredients to deliver a “ground-breaking” formulation for supporting your goals.
It also claims that it comes in a range of “insane” tasting flavors.
It all sounds pretty good to us so far, but we prefer not to pay too much attention to what manufacturers say about their own products.
Instead, it’s generally better to focus on the ingredients formula and the customer reviews to get an all-round feel of whether a supplement can deliver on its own hype or not.
So, with that in mind, let’s move on to the next important part of our Pre-Works review and start examining the ingredients.
Let’s kick off this section by taking a close look at the actual ingredients label of Pre-Works as shown on the tub.
Firstly, it’s great to see that this supplement does not use a proprietary blend. This means that we are clearly shown the doses of all of the ingredients transparently.
This is the way it should be, and we always like it when manufacturers decide not to use proprietary blends with their supplements.
Let’s now focus on the main few ingredients in the Pre-Works formula.
• Beta-Alanine – This is a solid place to start for any pre workout supplement. Beta-Alanine is a very popular ingredient and each serving of Pre-Works contains 3000mg of Beta-Alanine, which is quite a hefty dose.
• Citrulline Malate – This is another great ingredient. Citrulline Malate is an amino acid found in watermelons that is usually added to the very best pre workout supplements out there. Each serving of Pre-Works contains three grams of Citrulline Malate.
• Creatine Monohydrate – You probably already know all about Creatine for its post-workout benefits. However, it’s also a good pre workout ingredient and is usually found in smaller doses in top pre workout supplements. Each serving of Pre-Works contains 2.5 grams of Creatine Monohydrate, which is quite a big dose.
• Caffeine Anhydrous – The popular stimulant that is used by millions of people on a daily basis. You probably already know all about Caffeine and its benefits. Each serving of Pre-Works uses 310mg of Caffeine. This is quite a large dose, and it’s worth bearing this in mind if you are sensitive to stimulants.
• Guarana – This is essentially another stimulant to be paired with the Caffeine. There is 350mg of Guarana in each serving of Pre-Works. It’s important to be aware of the high stimulant content in this pre workout supplement.
• L-Theanine – An amino acid found in tea leaves, this is a great ingredient when paired with Caffeine in the same supplement. It’s a powerful combination when paired with Caffeine, so it’s great to see it used that way in Pre-Works.
• Taurine – This is an ingredient found in many commercially-available energy drinks. It’s one of the main ingredients in the female-focused pre workout Powher, and we like to see it used in supplements like this in moderation.
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – We always like to see B Vitamins added to supplements in this category, because they play a range of important roles in bodily functions. For example, both Vitamins B6 and B12 contribute to normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
• Potassium – This is an important mineral which plays an important role for certain bodily functions. For example, Potassium contributes to normal muscle function and the maintenance of normal blood pressure.
• Other Vitamins and Minerals – There is an excellent vitamin and mineral blend used in Pre-Works. It includes a range of important things such as Vitamin C, Zinc and other B Vitamins. Our only complaint is that we don’t know the specific doses of the Vitamins and Minerals. However, its inclusion is great, as too many pre workouts overlook the importance of Vitamins and Minerals.
The Pre-Works formula is a solid one, and it’s certainly exhaustive at 27 separate ingredients.
As we mentioned above, it’s a little bit disappointing that we don’t know the doses of the Vitamins and Minerals uses because they are included as part of a blend.
This pre workout supplement isn’t missing much. If anything, one could argue that it’s got too many ingredients, but that’s supposed to be the whole point of it.
You can see our updated guide to the leading pre workout supplements on the market right now by following the link shown below.
We did some digging online to see what customers are saying about Pre-Works.
At the time of writing, it had an average rating of 91% from 39 reviews on the official The Protein Works website.
The only thing we are not sure about is whether The Protein Works edit or moderate the comments that appear on their own site.
One happy customer left a five-star review and said that this pre workout worked great for boosting their energy levels, although they were not that impressed by the taste.
One person left a four-star review and said that they rated it highly as a pre workout, only underlining that it uses slightly more sugar than some of its competitors.
What About Side Effects?
The main thing to be careful of when it comes to pre workout side effects is the overuse of stimulants such as Caffeine.
As we covered above, each serving of Pre-Works contains a dose of 310mg of Caffeine. This is quite a lot, and so you definitely won’t want to be taking this supplement too close to bedtime, as it could affect your sleep.
The Caffeine is paired with another stimulant, Guarana – so simply put, the stimulant content could be too much for some people.
We all know that too much Caffeine or similar stimulants can cause the jitters, or energy crashes later in the day.
You should always check that you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients before taking a new supplement.
And you should always speak to a certified medical professional before thinking about taking any new supplement for the first time.
Is This The Best Pre Workout For Me?
We do like the Pre-Works formula, and it definitely covers most bases when it comes to the best pre workout ingredients.
That being said, we feel that the stimulant content is a little bit too high, and it’s a shame that we don’t know the doses of the Vitamins and Minerals used in this supplement.
We don’t quite rate it as one of the very best pre workouts out there right now. You can see our updated guide by following the link shown below.
Anything Else To Consider?
Just remember that a supplement will not do the hard work for you.
You’ll need to make sure that you’re training hard, eating right and getting plenty of rest before expecting to see any real results.
A good pre workout can help you to get the most out of your training sessions – but it will still have to be you lifting the weights and pounding the treadmill!
Review Conclusion – Final Thoughts
That brings us to the end of our Pre-Works review.
Overall, we’re pretty impressed by this all-bases-covered pre workout supplement.
It contains good doses of most of the ingredients we look for, and goes above and beyond in terms of the range of substances used.
However, we feel that the 310mg of Caffeine per serving may prove to be too much for some people, and it’s a shame that we do not know the doses of the Vitamins and Minerals used.
Overall, this is a decent premium option, but it doesn’t make it onto our top-five list.