Skinny Gal by Rockstar is one of those female supplements that we seem to have been hearing more and more about lately.
We are always looking to find out about the latest top products to hit the market, and especially supplements that have been specifically formulated for women.
Most similar on the market these days tend to be targeted towards men, or both genders, so finding a quality product that has been made with the female body in mind is always intriguing.
Considering that Skinny Gal is one of the top selling female focused supplements on Amazon, there’s actually a surprising lack of information about it online.
The Amazon listing has some basic information about the product, and the official website does too, but that’s pretty much it.
The purpose of this Skinny Gal review is for us to take a close look at this supplement to see whether it’s as good as it’s cracked up to be.
We’re going to take a close look at the ingredients and the customer reviews to see where Skinny Gal stands in relation to the leading so-called ‘fat burner’ supplements on the market at the moment.
Before we get started, it’s important to realise that most of the supplements in this category, including the one featured on this page, have not been proven to help with fat loss and fat burning.
They are supplements designed to support your goals and that usually contain a number of plant extracts and other ingredients such as vitamins and minerals.
So, let’s kick things off by examining the basic facts about this popular female supplement.
Skip To Section
Skinny Gal – The Basics
Rockstar themselves describe Skinny Gal as a supplement which actually works.
They claim to have developed an “amazing” product to help support you as you work towards your fitness goals.
The official description of Skinny Gal on the official website claims that this supplement will work in multiple ways to support you on your journey.
It’s a good start that this product has been formulated to work in multiple ways.
The leading supplements on the market all have a multi-action approach, which clearly increases the chances of the product being effective.
There doesn’t seem to be any mention of Skinny Gal helping to support energy levels, which seemed a little bit strange to us, especially as this product does use Caffeine as an ingredient.
The Amazon listing for Skinny Gal describes this supplement as the “most powerful” supplement available for women, which is quite some claim indeed.
It features “extreme potency” and has apparently been developed for women, by women.
These are all some pretty big claims, and so it’s going to be interesting to see whether Skinny Gal can live up to the marketing hype or not.
During our many years in the health and fitness industry, we’ve learnt to ignore the hype and claims, and instead take a close look at the important facts such as the ingredients formula, when assessing a new supplement for the first time.
Next, it’s time to take a close look at the ingredients formula to see if Skinny Gal can live up to the billing or not.
Let’s begin the all-important ingredients section by taking a close look at the actual ingredients label used by Skinny Gal, so we can see the full list of substances used.
Disappointingly, you can see that Rockstar have chosen to use a proprietary blend for this supplement.
That means that we don’t know the individual doses of most of the ingredients, which makes it very difficult to judge the effectiveness of the product.
We really don’t like to see proprietary blends used in supplements of any kind, because it gives the manufacturer the chance to hide the true doses of the ingredients.
• Caffeine Anhydrous – This is a great starting place for any supplement in this category. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant which needs no introduction. It’s consumed by millions of Coffee and Tea drinkers on a daily basis, and it’s a good ingredient for a supplement in this category.
• Green Coffee – Another good and common ingredient. Green Coffee Beans are basically unroasted Coffee Beans. They are very rich in a substance called Chlorogenic Acid – and you’ll usually find it as an ingredient in the top products in this category.
• Cayenne Pepper – So far, so good. Cayenne is another great ingredient and you’ll usually find it in the top products in this category. We always look for Cayenne as one of the top ingredients for product like this.
• Guarana – This is another stimulant which acts in much the same way as Caffeine. The problem here is that both the Guarana and the Caffeine are contained within the proprietary blend, so we don’t know exactly how much of each ingredient has been used, which is not good. This is especially bad, because we all know that too many stimulants can bring about a host of unwanted side effects.
• Apple Cider Vinegar – This is one of those ingredients we’ve seen in a few supplements that we’ve reviewed recently. There have been plenty of claims that Apple Cider Vinegar can indeed help with certain things, but we’re not so sure about its efficacy.
• Rhodiola – This is an ingredient we’re more used to finding in the best pre workout supplements than anything else. That’s because it’s a herb which has been used in Chinese medicine for years. It’s not a bad inclusion in the Skinny Gal formula.
• 5-HTP – This is an ingredient that is often sold on its own as a supplement and is thought to have a number of benefits. However, we have not found it in too many similar supplements in this category and so we are not quite sure why it’s in the Skinny Gal formula.
• Turmeric – We like to see Turmeric in female supplements. You’ve probably read about it quite a lot recently. It’s a common spice added to certain dishes and is also thought to have a number of benefits.
• Hoodia – This is a plant extract which some claim can help with certain things. However, we’ve not found it any supplements that we’ve reviewed before. To be honest, we’re not really convinced about it as an ingredient. We’d have rather seen a proven ingredient used in its place.
• Garcinia Cambogia – This is a tropical fruit that is believed to help with certain things and is sometimes sold as a standalone supplement. It is one of the ingredients in the popular female focused supplement called Leanbean. It’s not a bad inclusion in the Skinny Gal formula.
• CLA – The abbreviation for Conjugated Linoleic Acid. It’s a common ingredient in some of the lower-end supplements. It’s a naturally occurring fatty acid found in meat and dairy products. It’s been claimed to help people with certain things, though the evidence for this seems to be somewhat limited.
• African Mango – This ingredient is made from the seeds of the West African fruit Irvingia gabonensis. It’s sometimes been hailed as a miracle ingredient. However, as with all similar claims, we’re not really convinced. Again, we’d prefer to see a more effective ingredient used in its place.
• White Kidney Bean Extract – This is an interesting ingredient. You’ll find it in some of the similar products in this category and it is thought to have some positive benefits. However, we don’t think that it’s one of the very best ingredients for a product like this.
• Raspberry Ketones – Found in the skin of raspberries, this is an ingredient which is believed to work in certain ways. However, it’s probably not the most effective ingredient, and something better could really have been used in its place.
We have to say, we think that Skinny Gal have overdone it a little bit when it comes to their ingredients list.
Fourteen ingredients seems a bit like overkill to us. Generally speaking, the leading supplements on the market use a maximum of 10 ingredients, as that ensures that the substances are correctly dosed.
There were a few ingredients missing from Skinny Gal in our opinion. They are:
• Green Tea Extract
• Black Pepper Extract
We were really disappointed not to find any Green Tea Extract in Skinny Gal. It’s really one of the first things that should be on the label of any supplement in this category.
Green Tea is rich in substances called Catechins and ECGG, and you’ve probably already heard about the benefits of it as a supplement and a hot drink.
Glucomannan was also a disappointing omission from Skinny Gal. It’s a dietary fiber extracted from the root of the Konjac plant. It’s one of the top ingredients for a supplement in this category.
Another disappointing omission was Black Pepper Extract, which is usually found in the very best products in this category.
Skinny Gal Reviews
There were more than 3,000 Skinny Gal reviews on Amazon at the time of writing. It had an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
There were plenty of positive reviews from women who were happy with their purchase of Skinny Gal, although only 53% of the reviews posted on Amazon were for five stars.
There were also inevitably some negative reviews as well. One person said that it helped to raise their energy levels the first time they took it, but it didn’t do much more in the subsequent times.
What About Side Effects?
The problem with this product is the use of a proprietary blend for the formula.
This means that we don’t know how much Caffeine and Guarana is included in each serving.
Both of these stimulants can cause unwanted problems such as the jitters or energy crashes, so it’s far from ideal not to know how much has been used in each serving.
Is This The Best Supplement For Me?
Not really. Skinny Gal uses a handful of good ingredients, but it’s let down by the fact that it uses a proprietary blend, and is also missing some key ingredients.
You can see our updated guide to the best five supplements on the market right now by visiting the page linked below.
Anything Else To Consider?
You should always remember that there is no miracle product to solve all of your problems.
Your first port of call should always be to make sure that your exercising regularly and eating the right foods, before trying any kind of supplement.
Having said that, adding a quality supplement can make a difference, as long as you’re already making the right lifestyle choices overall.
Review Conclusion – Final Thoughts
That brings us to an end of our Skinny Gal review.
Overall, we think that this is an OK product with some decent ingredients and reasonable customer reviews.
However, it’s let down by the fact that it uses a proprietary blend, and it’s also missing a number of important ingredients (and uses some ineffective ones).
In summary, this is a decent product, but it’s not one of the very best supplements for women on the market right now.